Exercise 16: Fill in the blanks with a or an where necessary
1. Swimming is _______ great fun.
2. The plane made ________ terrible noise.
3. What sort of _______ man is he?
4. My aunt made ________ fortune in America.
5. He saved up more than _______ thousand pounds.
6. The train left half _______ hour ago.
7. She’s made _______ great progress in English.
8. She’s _______ clever girl.
9. He tried without success to find _______ work.
10. Vitamins are necessary for ______ good health.
Exercise 17: Fill in the blanks with the where necessary
1. My little brother will go to ________ school next year.
2. My father left _______ school many years ago.
3. _______ red, ________ blue, and _____ green are beautiful colors.
4. _______ cotton of Egypt is exported to many countries.
5. _______ Nile flows into ________ Mediterranean.
6. What time is _______ lunch?
7. She can speak _______ French.
8. She speaks _______ German better than ________ English.
9. _______ flies arc harmful insects.
10. The boy was sent to _______ post office to post a letter.
Exercise 18: Put relative pronouns in each of the following
1. That’s the boy ______ came yesterday.
2. The man to ______ I spoke is my brother
3. The girl _____ mother is ill has left school.
4. This is the pen ________ I bought.
5. I can’t repeat all ________ I heard.
6. He’s a boy _______ I know you can trust.
7. She’s the girl ________ we thought had been ill.
8. He’s the tallest man ________ I ever saw.
9. She’s the same ________ she’s always been.
10. I like to help those ________ I love and _______ I know love me.
Exercise 19: Put interrogative pronouns in each of the following
1. ________ do you find easier to learn, English or French?
2. ________ were you talking about? (the cinema)
3. ________ is this book? (my uncle’s)
4. ________ of the two players do you like better?
5. ________ do you think I wanted? (your brother)
6. ________ of the three boys spoke?
7. ________ did you say won the prize?
8. ________ is he, do you suppose? (a lawyer)
9. ________ of your brothers works in the bank?
10. _______ is the number of your house?
Exercise 20: Rewrite the following sentences, leaving out unnecessary pronouns and making other necessary changes
1. The prizes they were giver to the boys.
2. The girl she said nothing.
3. The teacher gave us an exercise to do it.
4. He went home and he got his book
5. The book which it is on the table is mine.
6. Students who are good at their lessons they get good marks.
7. She gave us a football to play with it.
8. The people, having seen the game, they went away.
9. The headmaster I haw seen him just now.
10. The scorpion it has a sting in its tail.
Exercise 21: Correct the following sentences, giving reasons for your corrections
1. One should mind his own business.
2. The most of the people are fond of the cinema.
3. This is the boy which is always late.
4. I speak English better than him.
5. She told her mother all what had been said.
6. This cake is for you and myself.
7. I want to give me your book, please.
8. Is a very good girl.
9. It is them.
10. I and Stephen are friends.
Exercise 22: Put the verbs in brackets into the tenses required
1. I thought that he (can) run much faster.
2. The boy said that he (begin) his work tomorrow.
3. She says she (understand) French very well.
4. The teacher said. “London (be) the largest city in the world.”
5. The teacher said that London (be) the capital of England.
6. I was sure that he (will) succeed.
7. I asked her if she (want) anything.
8. They say that he (wilt) pass the exam.
9. She told me that she (feet) very tired.
10. The boy worked hard so that he (may) not fail in the exam.
Exercise 23: Complete the following, using a verb in the required tense
1. Laura told me that she _______.
2. I asked him whether he _______.
3. James said that he _______.
4. Our teacher taught us that _______.
5. Sarah gave me a promise that she ________.
6. The boys said that ________.
7. I knew that she ________.
8. I asked him to wait until ________.
9. I thought that she ________.
10. He didn’t come when ________.
Exercise 24: Supply the correct tense. Simple Present or Present Continuous, in the following
1. I (to go) to school every day.
2. He (to go) to the school now.
3. Look! They (to come) towards us.
4. Now I (to hear) her clearly.
5. Every morning I (to take) a walk by the river.
6. The sun (to me) in the east and (to set) in the West.
7. The teacher (to watch) me when I (to write).
8. We (to go) to the cinema this evening.
9. I (to read) English now.
10. People (to use) umbrellas when it (to rain).
Exercise 25: Supply the correct tense. Simple Past Tense or Past Continuous, in the following
1. When I (come) in, it (rain).
2. Many years ago people (travel) on horseback.
3. I (meet) him as I (go) home.
4. He (go) to another school last year.
5. My father (play) football in his youth.
6. We (eat) our dinner when he (come) to visit us.
7. In the past he (smoke) a great deal.
8. They (shout) when the teacher (enter) the mom.
9. Last year he (study) very hard.
10. While be (play) football he (lose) his watch.
Exercise 26: Supply the correct tense. Simple Past Tense or Present Perfect, in the following
1. He (come) back last week.
2. I just (finish) my work.
3. I (live) in London last year.
4. The bell (ring) five minutes ago.
5. I (see) the Pyramids of Egypt.
6. He (write) the book in 1936.
7. She (be) ill with fever since last Saturday.
8. The ship (arrive) yesterday.
9. I (stay) at my uncle’s last night.
10. I (deposit) the money in the bank.
Exercise 27: Supply the correct tense. Simple Past Tense or Past Perfect, in the following
1. I (want) to see you yesterday.
2. He (tell) me that he (see) me the day before yesterday.
3. There (be) a strong wind last night.
4. The girl (find) the book which she (lose).
5. When I (run) a mile, I (be) very tired.
6. The tourist (talk) about the countries she (visit).
7. When I (be) a boy I (study) music.
8. The Romans (speak) Latin.
9. After he (finish) his work he (go) to bed.
10. She (sleep) an hour when I (wake) her.
Exercise 28: Complete the following, using the correct tense
1. We’ll go for a picnic, if _______.
2. I’ll visit the Pyramids when _________.
3. Some people talk as if _______.
4. Since he came here _______.
5. You would have passed if ________.
Exercise 29: Rewrite the following with the verbs in brackets in the correct tense
1. After he (finish) his work he (go) home.
2. I (study) English for two years.
3. I (finish) my work this morning.
4. I (do) my homework before Tom (call) for me.
5. He said he (will) go to the cinema.
6. I not (see) her since Wednesday.
7. I (speak) to her five minutes ago.
8. I (study) grammar last year.
9. She always (whisper) during the lesson.
10. The courier (come) back.
Exercise 30: Correct the following sentences, giving reasons for your corrections
1. Richard said that he is working hard.
2. How long did you waited for me yesterday?
3. She speaks English very well, but I’m not sure whether she can speaks French too.
4. He is on the team for two years.
5. I have seen her yesterday at church.
6. What do you do now? – I do my project.
7. I use to get up early.
8. Raul acts as if he is a rich man.
9. I’ll speak to him as soon as he will come.
10. I told Jill to come with us, but she says that she isn’t feeling well.
Exercise 31: Put the following into the third person singular, present tense
1. I always do my homework carefully, but Mike never _________.
2. Karen’s friends often go fishing, but she never ________.
3. I haven’t got a new computer, but Rosie _________.
4. Simon has tickets for the match, but Bruce _________.
5. She walks to work every day, but her husband _________.
6. We comb and brush our hair, but our sister ________.
7. Robin has a broken arm, but Carol _________.
8. I haven’t got time for breakfast, but my sister _________.
9. I sit and talk to my friends, but my mother ________.
10. I go to school by bike, but my friend ________.
Exercise 32: Fill the blanks with the right word, don’t or doesn’t, in the following
1. I ________ think so.
2. John __________ know how to swim.
3. He _________ play football well.
4. It ________ matter what they say.
5. Some pupils _________ take good care of their books.
6. _________ you know where I live?
7. Why_________ you try?
8. Teachers _________ like lazy pupils.
9. Lucy _________ speak English very well.
10. _________ be afraid of the dog!