IELTS General Training Writing Task 1 Topic:
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
You travelled by long distance bus recently and your suitcase was damaged.
Write a letter to the bus company. In your letter
• inform the bus company of when and to where you travelled
• describe your suitcase and what happened to it
• explain why the company should pay for a new suitcase
Write at least 150 words.
You do NOT need to write any addresses.
Begin your letter:
Dear Sir or Madam,
PLAN YOUR ANSWER:
Sample Answer for IELTS General Training Writing Task 1 Topic:
Dear Madam or Sir,
On 12th November this year, I travelled from Denver to Houston on one of your Intercity buses. I am writing in connection with the damage to my suitcase during that Journey.
The case is black with a soft material cover and wheels. During the journey the suitcase must have moved in the luggage compartment under the bus because in Houston I discovered that one of the wheels had broken off and the handle was cracked. The case is only 10 months old.
The legal advice I have received indicates that your company is liable for damage caused to personal property during a journey. Therefore I am requesting a full refund from you in order to purchase a replacement case. The suitcase is beyond repair, according to the shop from which it was bought. I have the original receipt as proof of purchase.
I trust you will respond appropriately and speedily to this letter.
• Sometimes it is appropriate to use ‘Dear Madam or Sir’ to show gender balance.
• Choice of lexis in formal letters makes the tone more business-like (eg. ‘in connection with’ (not ‘about’), ‘indicates’ (not ‘says’), ‘requesting’ (not ‘asking for’), ‘purchase’ (not ‘buy’), ‘trust’ (not ‘hope’).
• The tone is firm but neutral; there is no expression of anger or emotion.