IELTS General Training Writing Task 1 Topic:
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
You saw an advertisement for a skiing course in Canada but you have one or two problems and can’t stay for the whole course.
Write a letter to the course director. In your letter
• explain your interest in the course
• describe your problems
• find out if a refund is possible
Write at least 150 words.
You do NOT need to write any addresses.
Begin your letter as follows:
Dear Sir or Madam,
PLAN YOUR ANSWER:
Sample Answer for IELTS General Training Writing Task 1 Topic:
Dear Sir or Madam,
I’m writing in response to your advertisement in the Alberta Daily News for a skiing course.
I have always wanted to ski so I’m very interested in pining the course; however, I do not have my own skis and don’t wish to purchase skis at this time. Is it possible for me to hire skis and other equipment for the duration of the course? Also I have rather poor eyesight and have to wear special glasses all the time, is your course suitable for someone like me?
I’m afraid that I have to be back in Thailand by 31et January so I am unable to stay for the whole four weeks. I would like to know if its possible to receive a refund if I have to leave one week before the end of the course.
I’m looking forward very much to hearing from you. I’m really excited about learning to ski.
• The purpose in writing the letter is made clear in the first sentence.
• Sometimes letter writers mention the date of a newspaper in which an advert appears (eg ‘…in the Alberta Daily News of June 2nd’) but this letter omits that detail.
• ‘for the duration of…’ is a useful expression when you want to talk about the whole period of time taken by something like a holiday or a course.
• After ‘I’m looking forward to’ there is usually an ‘…ing’ expression (eg ‘hearing’, ‘receiving’). Many English learners forget this and write’ hear’ or ‘receive’